Civil Engineering Staff
Surveying / Construction Staff
- Over 25 years of rail transit engineering experience
- Successfully implemented major transit projects
- Committed to provide project resources
- Proven ability to oversee and manage large scale multidisciplinary projects, and deliver quality work on time and within budget
Phil Leong, PE
Phil Leong has over 20 years of experience (12 with RSE) in design and implementation of major rail transit projects. Phil has been successful in delivering multi-disciplinary rail transit projects from light rail and transit systems to commuter and freight railroads for clients such as SCRRA, PCJPB, VTA, BART, UPRR, MUNI, and RCTC.
As president of RSE, Phil oversees all significant financial decisions and firm commitments including operating budgets, client management and feedback, and day to day activities of the projects. Phil has a depth of contract administration experience from hands-on work on many rail transit projects, including planning, preliminary engineering, final design, design build, and construction services. He understands the design and construction issues of transit projects in urban environment and has the support of an experienced management team to address these issues.
- Over 30 years of highway experience
- Caltrans engineering and surveying experience
- Extensive project management experience
- Senior staff member with proven ability to deliver complex, multidisciplinary projects
Nasser Ashrafi, PE
Nasser has over 30 years of experience in leading and managing transportation projects. His work experience includes development of planning and engineering projects, and final design services. Nasser, as a senior project manager, has led numerous transportation projects in disciplines including highways, freeway interchanges, rail transit facilities, traffic, geotechnical, utility, surveying, right-of-way, and environmental approvals. Nasser has delivered successful projects to clients including Caltrans, ACTA/ACTIA, VTA, CCTA, SMCTA, Caltrain and BART, City of San Jose and other local city jurisdictions.
As the company vice president, Nasser oversees the company’s financial, contractual, quality assurance/quality control, and project schedules.
- In depth knowledge and experience in railroad crossing design
- Successful and extensive roles in design integration of highways and railroad, and multi-modal traffic handling
- Specialties in roadside safety, pedestrian, and bicycle facilities
Jason Chung, PE, TE
Chief Technology Officer
Mr. Chung is the Chief Technology Officer of RSE and has over 26 years of international experience in transportation engineering and construction management, including extensive experience in railroad and transit projects. His international projects included the high speed rail, rapid transit, and highway projects in Taiwan and Vietnam. Mr. Chung has in-depth engineering experience in main line tracks, grade separations, at-grade crossings, railway intermodal stations, highways and transit centers. His local experience included projects for BART, VTA, PCJPB, Caltrans, and CHSRA.
Mr. Chung, as a CTO and Certified Autodesk BIM specialist, he is responsible for overseeing RSE’s advanced technology in applications for engineering design and construction support services. Mr. Chung’s computer aided design experience includes AutoCad Civil 3D, MicroStation, and Inroads. He is also proficient in various project scheduling software applications including MS Project and Primavera P6.
- Proven project management experience with key attributes including responsiveness, quality, schedule, and cost control
- Extensive experience in civil engineering, track design, and systems implementation for Class I railroad and commuter rail projects
Stacey is a senior program manager with over 20 years of experience (12 with RSE) in project management, funding, planning, design, and construction of major rail transit infrastructure projects. She has extensive experience in civil engineering and track design for Class I Railroad and Commuter Rail projects. She has been in charge of the engineering, design, and construction of many large-scale rail projects for Southern Pacific Transportation Company (SPTCO), PCJPB, VTA, BART, and Caltrans.
Stacey’s project experience includes main line tracks, rail maintenance facilities, grade separations, at-grade crossings, rail multimodal stations, and transit centers.
- Extensive right of way experience
- Exceptional large scale rail and transit experience including track and station design
- Track alignment specialist
- Experience in surveying
Jennifer Ma, PE
Sr. Civil Engineer
Jennifer is a senior engineering manager with over 15 years of experience (12 with RSE) in the design and construction of rail transit projects. Jennifer has extensive experience in leading large scale engineering projects for SCRRA, PCJPB, RCTC, UPRR, Amtrak, VTA, MUNI, and BART. As a supervising engineer, she manages the engineering work production, provides direction to the design engineers, and maintains quality reviews on all deliverables.
Jennifer oversees design and engineering projects in RSE, she is also in charge of staff training in AutoCAD, MicroStation, Civil 3D, and InRoads.
- Understands rail transit design build projects
- Extensive experience in design build requirements
- Comprehensive knowledge of construction of track and structures
- Effective communication
- Extensive experience in resolving design issues and involving major utilities
Tom Leong, PE
Tom is a senior engineering manager with RSE with over 12 years of professional experience (10 with RSE) in civil engineering and construction support for rail transit projects. Tom has worked with RSE for the past ten years in providing design and engineering support for major rail transit projects. His project experience includes roadway design, rail multimodal stations, railroad track alignments, rail and roadway grade separations, and at grade crossings. He is experienced in AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Microstation, and Cloudworx.
- Extensive experience in planning and final design in high speed railroads
- Understands requirements for engineering and construction of high speed rail projects
- Several years of construction management experience in roadway and tunnel construction
Jorge Sanchez-Peral, PE
Sr. Civil Engineer
Jorge is an engineering director with RSE. He has 20 years of experience in design and construction in major rail transit projects including various high speed rail projects in Spain. For the past 13 years, he has worked on a number of planning and final design projects for various Spanish Rail Agencies including Administrador de Infraestructuras Ferroviarias (ADIF), Ministerio de Fomento (MFOM), Ferrocarriles de la Junta de Andalucia (FJA), and Euskal Trenbide Sarea (ETS). His major rail transit and high speed rail projects includes participating in various high speed rail projects within the Spanish High Speed Network. His varied engineering design experience also includes intercity passenger and freight, commuter lines, design of passenger stations, freight terminals, maintenance facilities, grade crossing removal, and light rail systems. Other than rail transit projects, Mr. Sanchez has also worked on various major roadway and freeway projects and has extensive experience in roadway and tunnel construction.
- A well rounded senior structural engineer in minor and major structures.
- Expert engineer familiar with the State design requirements
- Detailed engineer producing high quality plans
Larry Johnson, PE, SE
Sr. Structural Engineer
Mr. Johnson is a structural engineer with 30 years of experience in the design and analysis of bridges, retaining walls, cut-and-cover tunnels, parking structures, and buildings. He has prepared structural designs, performed dynamic and seismic analyses of structural systems, assisted in design reviews, and performed design support during construction services for railroad, high speed rail, highway, transit, and miscellaneous facility projects. Mr. Johnson has in-depth knowledge of the latest California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) and AASHTO design codes, standards and specifications.
- Extensive experience in right of way mapping for long linear transportation corridors
- High level attention to detail and quality work
James A. Drenon, PLS
James is a survey manager with over 30 years of experience (4 with RSE) in public and private surveying projects. He has held various positions in his professional career from field surveyor to survey director. James is currently managing RSE’s Survey Department in preparation of Tract and Parcel Maps, Records of Survey, ALTA Surveys, Legal Descriptions, Lot Line Adjustments and Parcel Mergers, and Topo Maps. He also supervises field surveys utilizing the most advance equipment including GPS, 3D scanner, and LIDAR Mobile Mapping System.
- Experience surveying along for long linear rail corridors
- Extensive training and experience in geodetic survey
- Knowledge of design and construction issues
- Survey equipment and software system specialist
Cody J. Festa, PLS
Field Survey Manager
Cody is a construction manager with over 10 years of experience (7 with RSE) in heavy construction of rail transit facilities including major design build projects. He is familiar with railroad design standards & specifications including codes and guidelines from Federal & State governments and requirements from UPRR, PCJPB, VTA, CPUC and the FRA. His project experience includes main line tracks, industrial tracks, rail maintenance facilities, rail yards, grade separations, at-grade crossings, rail multi-modal stations and bridge replacement projects.
- Well rounded senior engineer in rail/civil/site/drainage design
- Well versed in completing construction plan packages and specifications
- Extensive knowledge of the light rail standards
- Extensive experience with BART related standards and civil design projects
Blake Clark, PE
Mr. Clark has 28 years of professional experience in the transportation engineering field as both a Project Engineer and Project Manager. He has expertise in project oversight and in preparing plans, specifications, and estimates for layout design of highway, airport, drainage, and rail system facilities. Blake brings specialized experience in utility design and coordination, drainage design, and construction staging plans. He has helped develop complex stage construction plans to address phased implementation of construction to accommodate continuous vehicular, cargo transport, pedestrian and commuter traffic flows.
- Knowledge of Subdivision Map Act and PLS Act
- Boundary Retracement
- Contract negotiation/review/drafting
- Project management and team leadership/communication skills
- Budget development
Sr. Survey Manager
Billy Martin is an experienced Professional Land Surveyor with over 25 years of successful experience managing private development projects, public sector projects, and multi-person survey groups. He has excellent technical ability along with client and project management skills. He is also action-oriented with strong ability to communicate effectively with technical staff, executive, business and public audiences.